[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Apr 10 15:58:27 BST 2013

On 10.04.2013 16:12, Michael Bohlender wrote:
>     Just one nitpick: Though I think it's okay to focus on optimization
>     for landscape mode, it's important that the UI is flexible enough to
>     at least work okay in portrait mode as well. PA currently already
>     supports screen rotation (though it might not be released with PA 4
>     yet) and no application should break in portrait mode, so that it a
>     requirement.
>

> +1
> We have to keep portrait mode in mind and design for it. The end result
> will not have separate working portrait mode UI but maybe mockups for it.

As long as the UI is not done in a way that it becomes completely
unusable with a different aspect ratio, we should be fine for this first
iteration. Optimization for portrait mode can come in later versions.
Other PA applications currently work well better in landscape than in
portrait, but they at least "kinf od work" in portrait as well.

>     You mention that this will probably be the only year where you can
>     participate in GSoC. Does that mean that you won't have much time
>     for PA development afterwards in general, or just not enough for
>     time for another GSoC? Many KDE projects have had the experience of
>     GSoC students who vanished right after their project was done, most
>     of the time leaving unmaintained, rotting code behind. I hope this
>     won't be the case with you, even though you cannot do another GSoC ;)
>

> I want to keep contributing to Plasma Active / Kontact Touch after GSoC
> and view this as an opportunity to lay the groundwork for future
> development. The reason I probably wont be able to apply for  GSoC
> another year is that its schedule works really bad with my German
> university schedule. I am usually packed with exams during July but not
> this year. :)

Great to hear that you're planning to stay with us for the longer-term :)