[Kde-pim] Facebook Privacy Policy

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 23:25:34 GMT 2012

On 30 October 2012 23:23, Thomas McGuire <mcguire at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 23:42:02 Martin Klapetek wrote:
>> > So we need to have a privacy policy. There are various privacy policy
>> > generators on the Internet, but they all seem to be focused on websites,
>> > not
>> > desktop apps.
>> > Does anyone here know a bit about this topic and feels like writing one?
>> > Otherwise I'll just slap three lines together and call that a day. It is
>> > not
>> > that we have much to say in there anyway, since we don't collect anything
>> > and
>> > nothing leaves the user's machine.
>>
>> I was actually thinking about making a general one for whole KDE. We do
>> integrate more and more with online services and our privacy policies are
>> not really stated anywhere. So I think it can be good to have one such
>> document used all around KDE, something like the KDE Manifesto.
>
> Great idea, that would be ideal.
> I don't know how much time Facebook gives us for writing the privacy policy
> before it triggers "enforcement action", maybe we should come up with
> something fast and simple temporarily.

I've seen this before about a year ago, I think it was with Digikam
and the kipi plugin, you may want to check with Gilles to see what
they did in the end.  My advice at the time was to just put something
basic in the wiki and link to it as they only seem to check that a
policy exists, not that it meets any standards.

See http://wp4fb.com/how-to-add-a-privacy-policy-to-your-apps/ for a
little background.

That said, I like the idea of establishing a default KDE policy, but
it will take some work from the eV so don't wait for that.

John.