[Kde-pim] Facebook Privacy Policy

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:42:02 GMT 2012

Hey,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Thomas McGuire <thomas.mcguire at gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got the attached email from Facebook, since I am still the admin for
> the Akonadi Facebook resource page on Facebook. They are saying that the
> app
> page for the Akonadi Facebook Resource needs to provide a link to a privacy
> policy or they will remove the app (from Facebook, that is, which would
> render
> the Akonadi resource non-workable).
>
> Isn't it nice that Facebook finally cares about privacy?

Oh the irony... :)

> So we need to have a privacy policy. There are various privacy policy
> generators on the Internet, but they all seem to be focused on websites,
> not
> desktop apps.
> Does anyone here know a bit about this topic and feels like writing one?
> Otherwise I'll just slap three lines together and call that a day. It is
> not
> that we have much to say in there anyway, since we don't collect anything
> and
> nothing leaves the user's machine.

I was actually thinking about making a general one for whole KDE. We do
integrate more and more with online services and our privacy policies are
not really stated anywhere. So I think it can be good to have one such
document used all around KDE, something like the KDE Manifesto.

> Apart from that, we need an URL we can link to. Any idea what we can use
> here?
> Checking in the policy into Git and linking to the gitweb page is probably
> not
> enough, especially since we're going to move the Akonadi Facebook resource
> as
> we speak, which could take a while. So what are our options to host such a
> privacy policy in KDE?

Should we do one for KDE, I think we can host it somewhere at kde.org no
problem, something like kde.org/privacy-policy. I'd ask the
webteam/sysadmins what they think the address should be.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer