[Kde-pim] What to do when Akonadi Resource fails to write changes to server?

Dan Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 15:19:10 GMT 2012

Hi,

recently there was a bug that prevented Google Contacts resource to save some
contacts to server, but from user's POV everything is OK.

What happens is that the Akonadi resource gets an error from the remote
storage and cals cancelTask(). At this point a "dirty" Item is stored in
Akonadi, but not on the remote server. The Akonadi resource is not aware of
the Item anymore and user is not aware that there was an error and the Item
was not synced. For instance KAddressbook will display this unsynced contact
anyway, making user to believe everything is OK and that's wrong I think.

The major problem is that Akonadi resource can be asked to write the changes
at any time, even when the application that created the item is not running
anymore, so there is a problem how to interact with user at this point.

Should Akonadi Server force popup a dialog saying "Failed to write changes of
item XYZ 	[Show Item] [Delete] [Try Again]"? Should it just delete the item?

The most obscure idea I got was that Akonadi server would remember what
application sent the request and when it receives an error from Akonadi
resource, it would either send the error message directly to the application
or (in case the application has already disconnected) would remember it and
send the message when the application would connect again. Although this would
be very complicated to implement, I think it would be a nice solution :)

What would you suggest to do? From my POV the current behavior is buggy.

Cheers,
Dan

dvratil at redhat.com | Associate Software Engineer / BaseOS / KDE, Qt
GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348