[Kde-pim] Making Akonadi fit for embedded use

Manuel Nickschas sputnick at quassel-irc.org
Thu Nov 1 18:04:23 GMT 2012

On Thursday 01 November 2012 18:47:11 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 October 2012 10:29:27 Manuel Sput Nickschas wrote:

Hi,

> >> * A libakonadi-core (or -kde; I like the other naming better since it
> >> conveys the purpose better) that is free of QtGui deps, only links to
> >> tier1 libs from KDE Frameworks (e.g. kcoreaddons for KJob) and does not
> >> require pulling in all the semantic desktop stuff. This library should
> >> contain all the neat things required for writing agents, accessing the
> >> server, and the models.
> >
> > Thats contradictory. Qt's Model/View library actually depends on a GUI
> > application last time I checked. You may of course still run an app linked
> > against QtGui on a console only server, as long as no actual widget is
> > being created.
>
> Some models are in GUI in Qt4, but most are not. The most problematic is the
> qabstractproxymodel & co.

Indeed.

> > Yes, this is pretty ugly, but needs to be fixed upstream. Though maybe
> > someone already did this for Qt5?
>
> A quick checks shows that those are now properly in the core lib.

Yes, it's fixed in Qt5, and this is also what we're aiming for.

> So a real gui-less version will be possible only with Qt5. Still you should
> be able to write gui-less app also with Qt4, but you will have to link to
> libQtGui.

For the prototyping stage, it shouldn't be a problem to work with Qt4 and link
in QtGui for the models as long as this is the only reason.

If we decide to go with Akonadi in the longer term, we'll aim for Qt5 of
course, and can then easily remove this dependency. I would hope that the Qt5
release won't take another half year :)

The same is true for KDE Frameworks, of course.

Cheers,
~ Sput