[Kde-pim] kmail+courir: Mailbox does not exist, or must be subscribed to.,

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Sat May 26 22:56:43 BST 2012

Hi Jan,

Jan Torben Heuer wrote:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. How have you configured the IMAP resource? I have no such problems
>> with my IMAP account. I use server-side subscription, have offline mode
>> activated, STARTTLS and PLAIN authentication. No Sieve, no filters (I use
>> server-side mail filters).
>>
>> Courier is currently version 0.65.2-r1 (-r1 is Gentoo specific) and I am
>> running Courier since years with various KMail versions on client-side.
>
> Nothing special. I use courier (0.67.0-2) with SSL+PLAIN, offline mode,
> procmail filtering (maybe procmail genereates some non-standard folders?)
>
> It is in the FAQ so I think you should be lucky that you're not affected.
>
> I also use local subscriptions (more or less to find out if I can disable
> the broken folder...)
>
> It is also strange that I cannot disable the notifications of kmail. I
> disabled all kmail notifications in the notifications menu but they still
> appear.

Did you get any further?

Today I had a strange incident, when one user's account failed to recognize
the INBOX as mail folder anymore. All subfolders were recognized properly,
but it was no longer possible to move any mail out of the inbox nor move one
into it.

Finally I dropped the IMAP resource for this user and recreated it from
scratch. However, the INBOX was always empty and it behaved like a
structural node (e.g. like the "shared" node for public folders).

In the end I had to recognize that in the user's .maildir directory  on the
server the entry "INBOX" was missing in the file "courierimapsubscribed".
After adding the INBOX again and refreshing the subscriptions on the client,
the INBOX started to behave normally again.

Actually I have no idea what caused the missing entry for the INBOX in that
file. The user works only with Kontact and out of pure coincidence I updated
today from KMail 4.8.1 to 4.8.3 just before I got the report about the
strange behavior of his INBOX. So I have no idea, whether it was caused by
the new KMail version or when he created the last folder ...

Did you check the contents of "courierimapsubscribed"?

- Jörg