[Kde-pim] [GSoC 2012] Improve KOrganizer templates

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Mar 26 20:21:09 BST 2012

Hello Lavinia,

On Monday, 2012-03-26, lavinia bobonete wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Bobonete Lavinia and I am a 4th year student at Politehnica
> University of Bucharest (Major in Computer Science). I'm writing to you
> because I'm highly interested in your proposal for this GSoC season -
> Improve KOrganizer templates .

Excellent!

> I have three years experience in C++ and I've also made a couple of
> projects in Qt, so there shouldn't be any programming barriers.
>
> I have a couple of questions and ideas that I would like to discuss with
> you before I start writing my proposal. First of all, I would like to know
> how important is this project for the organization. Secondly, would I be
> allowed to make some design changes in Event  and To-Do windows or just in
> the Template Manager? I've thought of some solutions to combine them.

I am pretty sure that would be ok. After all this is about improving things
beyond the current approach of handling templates.

> About the Template Manager,  I would like to split the two concepts:
> Template Manager and Template Usage (save, load) . The Template Manager
> should be accessible from the main window menu, while buttons like save and
> load (template) should be accessible directly from the Event/To-Do window.
> It's  very difficult for a user  to open and manage three windows (in the
> same time) in order to save or apply a template. I also find the Event
> window very large and not so user-friendly. I can improve that a little bit
> if you allow me.

Sounds good to me, however it is always good to wait if other people want to
comment on it as well. Allen, Sergio?

> I'm looking forward for being a valuable part of the community and talk
> some more ideas about the project.

Welcome to KDE PIM, if you have any questions or need help with our code or
your development setup please let us know.

> PS: I've sent the same message to KOrganizer mailing list (three days ago),
> but no answer there. Any help, please?

Might have become unused. I think all KDE PIM development related discussion
happens on this list now, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring