[Kde-pim] Google Summer of Code project idea: integrating KDEPIM with Nepomuk:PIMO

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:27:16 GMT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 18:06, Marcus Harrison <marcus at harrisonland.co.uk>wrote:

> My understanding from Martin's blog post [1] is that PIMO:Person is
> basically
> finished (very nearly almost), but isn't being used to its full potential
> (or
> in any applications at all). I'd like to work on making KDEPIM and
> potentially
> other applications do cool things with it: a few immediate examples include
> attaching E-mail attachments (and E-mails) to people, making it possible to
> tag images (and other files?) with people, and making KAddressBook able to
> both edit and display all this information in a nice way. Of course, where
> PIMO:Person falls short, I'd be interested in helping make it usable as
> well.

Just to set things straight - PIMO:person is an ontology [1] and as such
was finished long time ago. To make use of this ontology conveniently, a
library is needed on top of it. This is currently "kpeople" library, which
is somewhat working for basic stuff like displaying people, but still needs
some heavy work to be fully in a state where it can be used for production
use. Unfortunately I have now _very_ limited time to work on it :/ If you
don`t want to reinvent the wheel, kpeople needs to be finished first, only
then it can be really used for the cool things you`re proposing (and I`d
love to see them too someday ;)

> > > If it's not feasible for a GSoC project, I would still like to work on
> > > this
> > > as some point, and a starting point would be nice to have. I already
> have
> > > a KDE development environment set up and working, so I could start
> working
> > > on programming right away.
> >
> > CC'ing Martin, he's the one with the best overview on that topic.
> Thanks! :)

If you are serious about starting now, I can give you a "todo" list, what
needs to be done to make the library really usable. I reckon it shouldn`t
be more than two-three weeks of work.

[1] - http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/pimo/

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer