[Kde-pim] Google Summer of Code project idea: integrating KDEPIM with Nepomuk:PIMO

Marcus Harrison marcus at harrisonland.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 17:06:33 GMT 2012

Sent with the correct E-mail address -- again. I really should fix that...
Sorry for the noise!

On Sunday 11 March 2012 16:30:58 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Sunday, 2012-03-11, Marcus Harrison wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I'm interested in applying for a Google Summer of Code project, and was
> > wondering if it would be feasible to do Nepomuk:PIMO integration in KDEPIM
> > during the sprint. It's something I'd really like to see done and I'd like
> > to see other cool things going on regarding contacts and nepomuk. Is this
> > a feasible project for Google Summer of Code?
>
> I think it is a viable idea which mostly depends on what kind of work would
> be involved. I.e. what kind of changes or new code would you expect to
> deliver?

My understanding from Martin's blog post [1] is that PIMO:Person is basically
finished (very nearly almost), but isn't being used to its full potential (or
in any applications at all). I'd like to work on making KDEPIM and potentially
other applications do cool things with it: a few immediate examples include
attaching E-mail attachments (and E-mails) to people, making it possible to
tag images (and other files?) with people, and making KAddressBook able to
both edit and display all this information in a nice way. Of course, where
PIMO:Person falls short, I'd be interested in helping make it usable as well.

> > If it's not feasible for a GSoC project, I would still like to work on
> > this
> > as some point, and a starting point would be nice to have. I already have
> > a KDE development environment set up and working, so I could start working
> > on programming right away.
>
> CC'ing Martin, he's the one with the best overview on that topic.
Thanks! :)

Marcus Harrison

[1] http://martys.typepad.com/blog/2011/08/gsoc-wrap-up-when-persons-go-into-
a-library-aka-pimoperson-integration.html