[Kde-pim] EntityTreeView and context menus

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Mar 2 16:10:22 GMT 2012

On Monday, 2012-02-27, Jonathan Marten wrote:
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> writes:
> > On Monday, 2012-02-27, Jonathan Marten wrote:
> >> The only fix that I can think of so far is to add a property to the
> >> EntityTreeView to indicate whether the view is showing items or
> >> collections, to be set by the calling application.  It would only be
> >> used in the case of a click not over anything, and the default
> >
> > What about derving from EntityTreeView in KAddressBook and overwriting
> > the event handler method, delegating to base class implementation when
> > event position is on a valid item?
>
> That could be done, but getting the correct menu over empty space
> would mean duplicating nearly the whole of
> EntityTreeView::contextMenuEvent() in the application.  No point in
> doing this when the library is available, and it leaks the internal
> library implementation details.

Right.
The only option for fixing this in 4.8 (and 4.7) though.

> > I am not sure clicking in empty space will always result in either
> > collection or item context menu, an application could want different
> > behavior.
>
> But that's effectively the non-choice there is at present - empty
> space always gives the collection context menu.
>
> The property can be changed at any time - or, if dynamic per-click
> behaviour is required, then the application could reimplement the
> event handler as you suggest above.

Just in case somebody is interested but did not read the respective exchange
on reviewboard (or its email notifications):

the final version we came up with allows to set a menu name (as in KXMLGUI
container name) which will be used to retrieve the context menu in case the
context menu is requested for a context that is not a tree entry.

Defaulting to the name of the collection context menu for compatibility.

This allows to select either item or collection context menu, a menu provided
by the application or even no context menu at all for those cases.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring