[Kde-pim] Feedback on 4.8.1

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 17:42:36 GMT 2012

On Friday 16 Mar 2012 15:08:58 John Layt wrote:
> Just upgraded myself on openSuse from 4.8.0 to 4.8.1 and initially
> everything was working a lot better.  Incoming filtering worked again,
> browsing folders was fast, but the spammy "broken resource" message was
> still there.
>
> Then I got too ambitious and turned Nepomuk back on and everything broke,
> folders wouldn't refresh, mail wouldn't open, etc, and turning it back off
> failed to resolve anything.

Sebastian, Christian, Vishesh and I have been working like crazy to make
Nepomuk work nicely in 4.8.1,2.  Not sure what guarantees I can give on this
report, since you wiped the dbs.

> So I took a deep breath and nuked my Nepomuk and Akonadi databases and setup
> and started all over again.  Now it almost all works again, and it is
> faaaast.
>
> Unfortunately filtering of incoming mail is broken again.

I haven't put any time into local filtering yet; who's working on it?

> I still get spammed by the message "Resource .Mail is broken. This resource
> is now online" all the time, even though everything appears to be working
> anyway. If the resource was broken and is now back online I don't see the
> need to tell the user anything.

Is this a mail resource that you actively use, and it works normally? Can you
check the resource type and look in its config dialog and make sure it has a
valid (I imagine) maildir path?
> I also still get the crash when I view two certain html messages one after
> the other, it's not a general case and I'd report it but Dr Konqi is broken
> right now.

This was probably the Nepomuk::ResourceWatcher threading crash; a fix is now
in our kdelibs4 package.

Will