[Kde-pim] Thunderbird experiences

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue Mar 20 09:12:34 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 20 March 2012 09.15:00 Thomas Koch wrote:
> - GPG mails look much nicer in KMail. The Thunderbird UI even made me
> believe some message would be signed while it only quoted a signed
> message from me.

Yes, the display is very good.

On the crypto handling/composing encrypted email side we still have loads of
room for improvement, it's one of my major gripes with KMail, actually.

> - Thunderbird only downloads messages when I enter the folder. The "Get
> Mail" method seems to work only on the INBOX folder. A method to
> synchronize all folders is well hidden in the "offline" menu item.

Like Will I think there might be a useful feature in here somewhere.

On my work account I have something like 80 folders. Many of those are shared
archives of mailing lists, which I don't need synchronized as often and would
happily not sychronize on a slow link.

Other boxes, e.g. my Calendar should be synced, but after my mail folders.

So a type aware, priority based syncing would be perfect.

But yes, I know this would add complexity while we're currently in cleanup and
bug squashing mode, which is why I did not bring it up thus far.

> - The folder list only shows number of unread messages in a folder, but
> not total number.

Again like Will, I think the folder list is one of the weakest points.

It takes up too much real estate for too little information, just reducing the
indentation might already improve this a lot.

But yes, Kontact & Kmail are in fact very powerful and a lot better than their
current reputation based on the disruptions we had. However: I see a lot of
stabilization happening these days, so am firmly convinced this is the year of
the Kontact Comeback. ;)

Best regards,
Georg

--