[Kde-pim] importing an appointment (ICS file) into Korganizer from thunderbird

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Mar 10 20:50:18 GMT 2012

On Saturday 10 March 2012, ken wrote:
> When I'm emailed an ICS file, it comes as an attachment.  I open it
> (using Thunderbird) by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open".
> This opens a new (and therefore empty) instance of Korganizer.  How
> do I get my currently running instance of Korganizer to receive the
> ICS file?
>
> This has been bugging me for a long time.  Thanks much for your help.

Let's see what korganizer's usage page tells us:

==========
$ korganizer --help
Usage: korganizer [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] [calendars]

A Personal Organizer

[snip]

  -i, --import              Import the specified files as separate
calendars
  -m, --merge               Merge the specified files into the standard
calendar
  -o, --open                Open the specified files as calendars in a
new window

Arguments:
  calendars                 Calendar files or urls. Unless -i, -o or -m
is explicitly specified, the user will be asked whether to import, merge
or open in a separate window.

Looks like you should try making Thunderbird run "korganizer -m <ics
file>".

By the way, in the future please send user question like this to the
kdepim-users list. The kde-pim list is restricted to development related
communication.

Regards,
Ingo