[Kde-pim] Kolab usage of kdepimlibs, kdepimlibs split

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Jun 23 13:36:20 BST 2012

On Saturday 23 June 2012 02:17:58 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2012 17.28:14 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On 2012-06-22, Christian Mollekopf <mollekopf at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> > > The preferred way forward is pulling those libraries out of kdepimlibs,
> > > along the lines of what is happending for frameworks, with only the
> > > dependencies which are really required.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the plan is to split up (most of) kdepimlibs as
> > independent frameworks once the frameworkified (is that a word?) kdelibs
> > is getting ready for a release.

Yes, latest discussions on the topic were that kdepimlibs would enter the KDE
Frameworks offering not before 5.1. If it's mature enough fast enough it could
be in KDE Frameworks 5.0 of course, but seeing the current pace I doubt it.

> > What's your timeframes?
>
> About a month from now =P (not sure when it actually get's critical).

Unrealistic I'd say (at least if we assume it's on top on kdelibs/frameworks
branch in its final form).

> We certainly need some solution before frameworks though (kimap & kcalcore
> are most pressing currently).
>
> Maybe it would be possible to already do the split in a branch, which can
> depend on a reasonably low kdelibs (4.3), in a way that the result of that
> can then actually be used when kdepimlibs is ready for a split.
>
> I suppose I could maintain such a branch and port patches, until we're there

You'd have to be very careful that it's aligned with the bigger kdepimlibs
plans of course. But having a frameworks branch in kdepimlibs isn't that far
from what we're doing in kdelibs... Having it based on an old kdelibs I'm less
certain it's a good idea though. I think a rather large chunk of the
frameworkification (thanks Sune for the neologism) for kdepimlibs will be
adjusting the buildsystem (at least in the parts you're most interested in),
none of that work will happen with an old kdelibs (where kdecore, kdeui and
friends still exist).

> At least that is the only idea I have how to solve that issue, without
> copying code to our own libraries and doing patchwork there (which seems
> like a waste of time to me if I could do upstream work during that time).

Yes completely.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net