[Kde-pim] 2 problems I'd like to help with

CP Hennessy cp.hennessy at openapp.ie
Wed Jan 11 13:31:59 GMT 2012

Hi,
 I'm using KMail from KDE 4.8-RC2 on opensuse and this is a BIG improve over
4.7.4. Thank you. However in some respects it still has a way to go before it
matches KMail pre-akonadi. Below I've a few usage annoyances and 2 specific
bugs I'd like to help resolve.

The few minor annoyances that I'll live with for a while :
- tags do not show up
- during a migration I've both the "Personal Contacts" feed and a "Default
  address book", which one should I delete (assuming data loss is my own
  problem) ?
- how can I turn off the top left "folders" view ?
- when filtering on "Unread" emails, I see the list in the relvant folder, but
  when I read an email it disappears from the list. This makes certain sense,
  but differs from the pre-akonadi behaviour (which was to leave the newly
  read message visible in the filtered emails)

However I also have 3 major problems that I'd like to help with:
- the automatic completion of email addresses in a new email worked last week
  and now does not work. I've made no changes to my configuration, but have
  taken updates.

- the filter "is in address book" has never worked since moving to 4.7

- instead of when I click on a folder the request goes back to akonadi to get
  the folder contents (again I'm not sure where filtering takes place), but
  I'd like to see akonadi tell kmail that the specific folder has been updated
  and here is what the folder contents looks like (maybe as a 'diff' to what
  it already has cached?). OK, this one is purely dreaming and in a state of
  ignorance to what is achievable and reasonable. :)

I'd like to help with the top 2 problems as to me they are painful bugs.

However the architecture of the
KMail <-> akonadi <-> neopmuk <-> soprano <-> mysql system is not clear to me,
nor which component (or resources) does exactly what.

Also is there some tutorial on how to use SPARQL with akonadi data ?

Finally, I've a kdepim checkout of a git for 4.7.4, how do I upgrade to the
4.8 code ?

Thanks,
CPH