[Kde-pim] 2 problems I'd like to help with

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 20:48:34 GMT 2012

Hi,

CP Hennessy wrote:
> The few minor annoyances that I'll live with for a while :
> - tags do not show up
> - during a migration I've both the "Personal Contacts" feed and a "Default
>   address book", which one should I delete (assuming data loss is my own
>   problem) ?

Check where do they point (e.g in akonadiconsole) and delete the one that is
wrong.

> - how can I turn off the top left "folders" view ?

I assume this is the Favorite Folders. Configure KMail-Appearance-Layout.

> - when filtering on "Unread" emails, I see the list in the relvant folder,
> but
>   when I read an email it disappears from the list. This makes certain
>   sense, but differs from the pre-akonadi behaviour (which was to leave
>   the newly read message visible in the filtered emails)

Yeah, this is bad indeed.

> However I also have 3 major problems that I'd like to help with:
> - the automatic completion of email addresses in a new email worked last
> week
>   and now does not work. I've made no changes to my configuration, but
>   have taken updates.

This is nepomuk related, unfortunately out of my knowledge area.

> - the filter "is in address book" has never worked since moving to 4.7

Again, nepomuk query related.

> - instead of when I click on a folder the request goes back to akonadi to
> get
>   the folder contents (again I'm not sure where filtering takes place),
>   but I'd like to see akonadi tell kmail that the specific folder has been
>   updated and here is what the folder contents looks like (maybe as a
>   'diff' to what it already has cached?). OK, this one is purely dreaming
>   and in a state of ignorance to what is achievable and reasonable. :)

I'm not sure what you mean here. When you click on a folder, akonadi indeed
might check for changes in the folder (depends on the folder settings, see
Folder Properties->Retrieval). If sync when selecting is enabled, this is
what it should do.

> I'd like to help with the top 2 problems as to me they are painful bugs.
>
> However the architecture of the
> KMail <-> akonadi <-> neopmuk <-> soprano <-> mysql system is not clear to
> me, nor which component (or resources) does exactly what.

In a nutshell:
- akonadi server caches the mails/addresses/etc. in a mysql database. It
also stores some metadata for them, like size, modification time,
read/answered/junk status
- there are akonadi agents/resources that populate the database. They are
the interface between your data and the akonadi server. Eg. there is an
agent for vcards, one for maildir folders, one for imap accounts, etc.
- nepomuk can store any other metadata. You can "tag" existing
files/mails/whatever. It also holds an index in a (virtuoso) database
towards the data for searching. In case of akonadi this data is
addressbooks, email body, email headers, etc.
- the nepomuk database is filled up with feeders. In KDE 4.7.x there were
several akonadi nepomuk feeders for different data types, in 4.8.x there is
only one for all. This feeder gets the data from the akonadi database,
indexes it and stores the result in the nepomuk db.
- soprano is not involved here, it indexes the file system (or is this what
strigi does? I'm also confused. Anyway, I think it is out of the equation.)
- KMail is a client. It queries through an API the akonadi server for data
and displays it. So KMail does not deal with the accounts itself, it deals
with Akonadi. Theoretically KMail doesn't care how the content got into the
database. KMail can also use Nepomuk directly to get information, perform
searches (eg. autocompletion for addressbook, full text search in email
bodies).

> Also is there some tutorial on how to use SPARQL with akonadi data ?

Somebody else might know...

> Finally, I've a kdepim checkout of a git for 4.7.4, how do I upgrade to
> the 4.8 code ?

git checkout KDE/4.8 (to switch to the 4.8 branch, check git branch -a the
branch names to get it right. the /remote part is not needed).
configure
build

You need to do for at least kdepimlibs, kdepim-runtime and kdepim. Now I
don't know, but if any of those depends on a newer kdelibs, you need to
upgrade kdelibs as well...

Andras