[Kde-pim] Contact aggregation

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:18:57 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:00, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>wrote:

> My concerns with Pimo:Person (or equivalents) in KDE Telepathy is that
> no-one else is using it or appears to be moving towards it.
>
> We're only going this route to help feed our data to other
> applications, we don't exactly need it ourselves, we could do contact
> aggregation with a simple text file if we're the only people using it.

Exactly. And for that I'm a bit disappointed that so far it was only the
KDE Telepathy team discussing this across three mailing lists, but not a
single message from PIM (except Christian's) or perhaps even Plasma Active
guys :/

People keep saying "it only works if everyone uses it", normally as an
> argument for pushing this nepomuk side, but it also works the other
> way. I don't want to be left out in the cold on our own maintaining an
> over complicated library which isn't benefiting anyone.
>
> Realistically either we (or rather Martin :-P) need to commit to
> switching to using Pimo:Person everywhere, i.e a brand new
> KAddressbook, updated KMail etc. rather than using Akonadi directly or
> this entire thing is just a completely pointless exercise.

That is absolutely true. But obviously I can't do it alone and should PIM
people not be interested, there's not much point doing it at all, because
we'd end up with two incompatible contact sources/storages, confused users
and raging comments everywhere.

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer