[Kde-pim] KDE 4.8, Virtuoso at 130% CPU for hours now - how can I help find the issue?

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 28 17:16:15 GMT 2012

On Saturday 28 January 2012 13.07:16 Marc Deop wrote:
> On 01:53:43 AM Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > It might be that the initial indexing of the new akonadi nepomuk indexer
> > is
> > causing virtuoso to run at full speed. If this is the case you should see
> > the that the indexer is currently indexing (by it's status message) in
> > akonadi console. The indexer itself shouldn't use a lot of cpu power, all
> > the work is done by virtuoso.
>
> In my akonadiconsole I'm seeing  the "Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder" as:
> "System busy. Indexing suspended"

That means the idle detection kicked in and stopped indexing.

> Here's the output of top:
>
> Mem:   8097728k total,  5208040k used,  2889688k free,   131676k buffers
> Swap:  2000056k total,        0k used,  2000056k free,  3469968k cached
>
>   PID USER            PR  NI  VIRT     RES  SHR   S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
> COMMAND 998 damnshoc  39  19  916m 123m 7024 S  141  1.6       85:07.45
> virtuoso-t 990 damnshoc  39  19 1981m  41m  19m S   34    0.5      52:11.42
> nepomukservices
>
> I don't notice this much on this machine because it's a powerfull one but in
> my old laptop this is unacceptable. It turns the machine SLOW.

That's what the idle detection is for. If you constantly move the mouse for
i.e. one minute, you should be able to ensure that the indexing is off for long
enough and see if the cpu load goes down. If it doesn't it's probably not the
indexer which causes the problem. => find the query with isql
(http://kdeatopensuse.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/debugging-nepomukvirtuosos-cpu-
usage/).

If it is the indexing, all I can suggest is making sure that the initial
indexing passes. After that you should be fine. For me the idle detection works
well, but then my machine is also fairly fast (core 2 duo p8700).

Cheers,
Christian