[Kde-pim] Phantom akonadi IMAP resources

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 14:16:29 GMT 2012

Hi Shaheed,

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> Jörg,
>
> Can you possibly try the following? Note that this might be very
> resource intensive, and so might itself destabilise the system so you
> may need some time/patience to get results.
>
> 1. Shutdown kontact and anything else you can to minimise Akonadi traffic.

Anything is stopped inclusive akonadi.

> 2. Run "akonadiconsole". On Ubuntu at least, it is actually in its own
> package, so you may need to install it first.

Installed now and start of akonadiconsole did also start akonadi itself.
However, since the two phantom IMAP resources were no longer able to
synchronize themselves. I stopped anything again, took a backup of the
akonadi configuration files and mysql db and start from scratch.

After starting KMail, the IMAP resource was working again. However, it was
not the KMail process itself that took my memory but the
akonadi_imap_resource. It went up to 3.2GB stayed there for some minutes but
went then down again to 1.1GB.

Then I stopped Kmail and restarted it again. This time I got the "old"
behavior: The KMail process consumed memory up-to 4.1GB and the process
crashed then.

> 3. On the Debugger tab, check the "enable" box.

I cleared the tabs before starting KMail again, but that can be provided.
Where should I put it? I already attached a stack trace to bug 294447.

BTW, while I was writing this message in KNode, suddenly the
akonadi_nepomuk_email_feeder starts to gather memory with a peek also at
4.1GB, but went then down again to 2.0GB - where it stays.

> 4. Start kmail
>
> Now, when kmail becomes unresponsive and starts consuming lots of
> memory, do you see anything in the debugger window? There will be
> several tabs, it may help if you can close all but the ones that elate
> to imap/kmail (and "All").

Nothing special - at least not for me.

> Finally, don't forget to disable the debugger by unchecking the box,
> otherwise your memory and performance will continue to suffer!

Undone.

Thanks for your time,
Jörg