[Kde-pim] kmail2 problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Feb 4 20:30:02 GMT 2012

On Saturday, 2012-02-04, Anders Lund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having run kmail now since more than a week. So far, all the mail I have
> from that period is still in ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data.
> Shouldn't it be moved to my configured directory (or rather, to secret,
> hidden neighbour location) at some point?

It should be there almost instantly after being written to the cache.

> I do not understand why it is stored in the temporary location at all,
> given the storage is local. Is there a meaningful reason for that?

When an item, in this case an email, gets added to an Akonadi collection, it
is written to the cache and the resource is notified about the addition.
The resource then fetches the data from the cache and writes it to its
backend.

That last step depends on the resource currently being able to reach its
backend, e.g. a server based resource would require a network connection for
that.
So a resource that is in such a state (resource is "offline") would keep track
of the addition and replay them one it becomes operational again (resource is
"online").

> Is there a way I can trigger akonadi to clean up and move things to the
> right place?

You could check if the resource is offline for whatever reason.

kcmshell4 kcm_akonadi_resources
would show that, as would akonadiconsole's agent tab.

One word of caution: try not to remove the resource, this would signal Akonadi
that it can remove any cached items associated with that resource.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring