[Kde-pim] kmail2 problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Feb 4 21:30:55 GMT 2012

On Saturday, 2012-02-04, Anders Lund wrote:
> Lørdag den 4. februar 2012 21:30:02 Kevin Krammer skrev:
> > On Saturday, 2012-02-04, Anders Lund wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Having run kmail now since more than a week. So far, all the mail I
> > > have from that period is still in ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data.
> > > Shouldn't it be moved to my configured directory (or rather, to
> > > secret, hidden neighbour location) at some point?
> >
> > It should be there almost instantly after being written to the cache.
> >
> > > I do not understand why it is stored in the temporary location at all,
> > > given the storage is local. Is there a meaningful reason for that?
> >
> > When an item, in this case an email, gets added to an Akonadi collection,
> > it is written to the cache and the resource is notified about the
> > addition. The resource then fetches the data from the cache and writes
> > it to its backend.
> >
> > That last step depends on the resource currently being able to reach its
> > backend, e.g. a server based resource would require a network connection
> > for that.
> > So a resource that is in such a state (resource is "offline") would keep
> > track of the addition and replay them one it becomes operational again
> > (resource is "online").
> >
> > > Is there a way I can trigger akonadi to clean up and move things to the
> > > right place?
> >
> > You could check if the resource is offline for whatever reason.
>
> It says "Ready". I tried updating, using the "syncronize" button in
> akonadiconsole, as well as "update folder and all subfolders" from kmail
> GUI (Ctrl + F5). Still, there are 867 mails in the shadow folder, so
> something is not working.

Hmm, not sure how to debug that.
Maybe running Akonadiconsole and enabling the job tracker and/or resource
scheduler and then adding an email to a folder in question.

On disk you ~/Mail contains new/ cur/ and tmp/?
~/.Mail.directory exists and is empty?

> A stay thought - could the problems with filters have to do with this? It
> seems that messages hit by the spam filter are not recreated, so I at
> least have spam filtering. But all other messages moved into some folder
> by a filter is dublicated infinitely (in the kmail message list, i don't
> know about the files themselves)

No idea about filters, sorry. Does it work for manually created emails, e.g.
copying existing ones?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring