[Kde-pim] Mail loss when moving email while it is downloaded

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Feb 12 15:27:10 GMT 2012

Am Samstag, 11. Februar 2012, 13:18:28 schrieb Volker Krause:
> It's the same scenario we saw some time ago already, with more obvious
> move/copy operations. The reason was a combination of nested transactions
> and the wrong transaction isolation levels. The attached patch against
> Akonadi master addresses this more generally than our fixes/workarounds
> from back then.
>
> I'd appreciate some testing by someone who is able to reliably reproduce
> this problem (I never was, making it very hard to debug this).

This patch does not fix the issue completely.

To re-produce:

1. set View > Attachments to Icons

2. send an email with a large attachment to your imap (not dimap) account

3. click on the email in the message list, kmail shows "loading" in the
preview pane

4. press DEL to move it to the _local_ trash while it is still loading

5. select a few other read and unread emails and press DEL, kmail will only
mark them as deleted but the "loading" is still visible in the preview pane
and no message was removed from the message list yet. (your internet
connection must be that slow)

6. open the NetworkManagement plasmoid and click on the checkbox "enable
network", i.e. the one above the "enable wireless network" if you have wifi.
This must happen before the first email gets removed from the message list.

7. the network will be disabled and kmail/the filter agent will move all
messages you selected for deletion instantly – without content.

The patch did work though in case the internet connection did not break down
and kmail/akonadi could finish the download. This lead to mail loss before.

Sven