[Kde-pim] No organizer for appointments?

Stephan Diestelhorst stephan.diestelhorst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:30:14 GMT 2012

Hi,
  I have successfully used Google's CalDav export with Akonadi's CalDav
back-end together with KOrganizer (KDE 4.8.0).  Many thanks for making
this work!  However, one small annoyance is that if I create a new
appointment with KOrganizer, it will seem like an external appointment
in Google's web interface and on my mobile phone.

The problem is that I cannot edit the appointment from those two
sources in that case.  After digging through the raw iCal data, I
found that the behaviour is caused by the "ORGANIZER" field.  If I
manually remove this (tweak the UID) and re-import this into
KOrganizer, things are detected properly again.

So there are a few questions coming out of this:

* Does the iCal standard mandate an organiser?

Just dug through the spec myself:

   Conformance:  This property MUST be specified in an iCalendar object
      that specifies a group-scheduled calendar entity.  This property
      MUST be specified in an iCalendar object that specifies the
      publication of a calendar user's busy time.  This property MUST
      NOT be specified in an iCalendar object that specifies only a time
      zone definition or that defines calendar components that are not
      group-scheduled components, but are components only on a single
      user's calendar.

Looks like exporting an organiser for an appointment which actually is
NOT group planned -- fitting the notion of an personal appoitnment made
by me -- the organiser must not be there.

* Can I disable the export of an organiser from some option menu
  (found nothing so far)?
* Where does KOrganizer get the different identities from in the Drop-
  down menu for the "New Appointment" dialogue?
* Can I fake an empty organiser with such a feature?
* Are you willing to make that an option somewhere?  Or is supporting
  Google's CalDav implementation left to the Akonadi Google resource
  (which does not work with multiple calendars, as far as I tested)?

Many thanks,
  Stephan