[Kde-pim] smart folder / search on unread emails

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 29 11:49:07 GMT 2012

On Tuesday, 2012-02-28, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2012 12:03:13 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2012-02-28, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Hey there,
> > >
> > > I just wanted to try the potentially awesome new search features to
> > > finally
> > > get a smart folder that shows all my unread emails... Well it "works"
> > > but the behavior is really bad:
> > >
> > > - you select some unread email in the smart folder to read it
> > > - it gets marked as read
> > > - the search gets updated
> > > - since the mail is not unread anymore, it gets removed from the smart
> > > folder - kmail selects the next email
> > > - repeat from above
> > >
> > > hence, selecting such a folder is like "mark all new email as read"
> > > which is of course not what I want :]
> > >
> > > But how could this be fixed? Any ideas? I'd be willing to invest some
> > > time on this, but quite frankly wonder how this should be done. Andras
> > > told me there is a similar bug when you apply a folder-filter on
> > > unread emails.
> > >
> > > My use-case could be "solved" by different ways, e.g.:
> > >
> > > - never mark emails as read in search folders that search for unread
> > > emails
> > > - only update the search folder after the mail is de-selected
> >
> > - do not move selection automatically unless the currently selected item
> > is deleted?
>
> yes that could work as well, but how does one differentiate between these
> two? after all, it's the model/qt that does this, no? I'll ask steve later
> if he knows whether this would be feasable

My guess is that the model removes the row, the view clears the selection and
creates a new one.

In this case the view would have to check if an item still exists when the
model removes a row which is currently the selection.

Maybe it could even monitor the selected item itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring