[Kde-pim] Akonadi IMAP resource issue - LIST succeeds, mails not fetched

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Feb 27 19:09:26 GMT 2012

Hi,

I've run into a new akonadi IMAP issue today. Until this morning kmail/akonadi
were working pretty well (I can cope with the occasional bug given the
relative youth of the software), but now akonadi won't fetch mails on my IMAP
server. To motivate you to read this mail through the end, I'm interested in
debugging the problem (including patching, compiling and possibly even diving
into the source code) :-)

A bit of background first:

- Cyrus IMAP 2.2.13-19squeeze3build0.10.04.1 (Ubuntu)
- KDE SC 4.8.0
- akonadi-server 1.7.0
- disconnected IMAP resource, TLS connection

Honesty forces me to mention that I've upgraded my IMAP server yesterday
evening, but please don't jump on any conclusion here.

I've tried to debug the problem myself by checking the IMAP server logs first,
and then the IMAP dialog using both server-side and client-side logging. Both
some the exact same dialog (folder names obfuscated):

C: A000004 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID
NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE LOGINDISABLED
S: A000004 OK Completed
C: A000005 NAMESPACE
S: * NAMESPACE ( ("INBOX/" "/") ) ( ("user/" "/") ) ( ("" "/") )
S: A000005 OK Completed
C: A000006 LIST "" *
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/***
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*********
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/***********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/**************
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/****************
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/***********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/***********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/**
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/******
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/*****
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/*********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/****************
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/**********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/*********
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***************
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***************/*******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/************
S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/********/******
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/********
S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/****
S: A000006 OK Completed ( 0.000 secs 35 calls )

And that's it. Akonadi doesn't try to fetch the mails.

I've also enabled debugging in akonadi-console, and synchronizing the inbox on
my IMAP resource (F5) only shows (user and server names obfuscated as well)

akonadi_imap_resource_1 (0x13401b0) 73 LSUB 350 0 (RESOURCE
akonadi_imap_resource_1) (STATISTICS true ANCESTORS INF)
akonadi_imap_resource_1 (0x13401b0) * 350 349 (NAME "INBOX" MIMETYPE
(message/rfc822 inode/directory) REMOTEID "/INBOX" REMOTEREVISION "" RESOURCE
"akonadi_imap_resource_1" MESSAGES 62 UNSEEN 17 SIZE 5581763 CACHEPOLICY
(INHERIT true INTERVAL 60 CACHETIMEOUT -1 SYNCONDEMAND true LOCALPARTS
(ENVELOPE HEAD RFC822)) ANCESTORS ((349 "imap://user@server/") (0 ""))
ENTITYDISPLAY "(\"Inbox\" \"mail-folder-inbox\" \"\" ())" AccessRights "wcdCD"
collectionquota "0 0" imapacl "cyrus c % user lrswipcda %% "
collectionannotations "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/lastpop % /vendor/cmu/cyrus-
imapd/partition default % /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/size 8880442" imapquota "
%%%% STORAGE % 0 %%%% STORAGE % 0" uidnext "164050" collectionflags
"\\Answered \\Flagged \\Draft \\Deleted \\Seen KMAILFORWARDED KMAILTODO
KMAILWATCHED KMAILIGNORED $FORWARDED $TODO $WATCHED $IGNORED $Label1 $Label2
$Label3 $Label4 $Label5 $SIGNED $ATTACHMENT $REPLIED \\*" uidvalidity
"1288523839" timestamp "1330298065")
akonadi_imap_resource_1 (0x13401b0) 73 OK List completed

I've checked the server spool directory, and there are several mails after UID
164050 in the inbox.

I've restarted the akonadi server in a console, the log is attached. I don't
see anything wrong there. I've also tried to ltrace the IMAP resource, which
was waiting on a syscall when I attached to the process. The attached log
shows all the ltrace output that was generated when I tried to refresh the
inbox. It might not be very useful, but it seems to show that the process
doesn't do much.

I've created a new (non-disconnected) IMAP resource which can connect to the
server without any issue, so the problem isn't on the server side only.
Deleting the existing disconnected IMAP resource and creating a new one might
work around the problem, but won't fix the root cause. As I'd like to avoid
running into the same issue later, help would be appreciated to further
diagnose and debug the problem. I can patch and recompile the software, and
maybe even dive into the code myself, but I will need a diving instructor in
that case :-) The code flow isn't exactly easy to follow.

Last but not least, please CC me on replies.

Laurent Pinchart