[Kde-pim] Akonadi IMAP resource issue - LIST succeeds, mails not fetched

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Feb 27 19:54:04 GMT 2012

Hi Andras,

On Monday 27 February 2012 21:49:05 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > I've tried to debug the problem myself by checking the IMAP server logs
> > first, and then the IMAP dialog using both server-side and client-side
> > logging. Both some the exact same dialog (folder names obfuscated):
> >
> > C: A000004 CAPABILITY
> > S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID
> > NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT
> > THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE LOGINDISABLED
> > S: A000004 OK Completed
> > C: A000005 NAMESPACE
> > S: * NAMESPACE ( ("INBOX/" "/") ) ( ("user/" "/") ) ( ("" "/") )
> > S: A000005 OK Completed
> > C: A000006 LIST "" *
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/***
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/***********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/**************
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/****************
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*****/***********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/*******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/***********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/**
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/***/******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/*****
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/*********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/****************
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/**********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/*********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***************
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/*****/***************/*******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/************
> > S: * LIST ( \HasChildren ) / INBOX/********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/********/******
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/********
> > S: * LIST ( \HasNoChildren ) / INBOX/****
> > S: A000006 OK Completed ( 0.000 secs 35 calls )
>
> Is this the log when you do a sync? Just get a client log (export
> KIMAP_LOGFILE=somefile and restart akonadiserver in the same console) for
> the period you sync.

That's the log when I do a sync, yes. There's nothing else. I've captured the
log with KIMAP_LOGFILE= already.

> Also check that you are really subscribed to the folders. Both server side
> and that your local subscription didn't go wild for some reason. Server side
> subscription you can check in the imap resource config, local subscription
> in kmail (right click on the account in the folder list). Sorry if you
> already did that and I'm asking for the obvious, but we need to rule this
> out.

No worries. Both server side and client side subscriptions seem OK. All folder
are checked. I've disabled server-side subscription globally, but enabling it
doesn't make much difference. Akonadi then sends a LSUB command instead of
LIST, gets a similar reply, and stops there.

> > And that's it. Akonadi doesn't try to fetch the mails.
> >
> > I've also enabled debugging in akonadi-console, and synchronizing the
> > inbox on my IMAP resource (F5) only shows (user and server names
> > obfuscated as well)
>
> That debugger shows the communication between KMail (or other clients) and
> the akonadi server. If the problem is that it doesn't fetch from the IMAP
> server, this log won't show anything interesting.
>

> For IMAP issues the best approach is to log all the client/server
> communication and see what is going on.

That's what I've started with, and the above log is all I get.

Laurent Pinchart