[Kde-pim] Need to find archived message

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Aug 15 09:58:19 BST 2012

On 15/08/12 09:07, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> I doubt that the read-only character of the underlying file
>>> system has any effect on the indexing. Check with
>>> Akonadiconsole that the Nepomuk feeder agent is running and
>>> "online". Maybe remove and re-add the maildir resource and list
>>> the folder content again.
>>>
>>> The feeder agent should get notified about the new mails and
>>> start to index them.
>>>
>> Not really sure what I'm looking for, or where to look for it,
>> Kevin. Akonadiconsole seems to have many tabs, almost all of
>> them totally empty.  The Raw socket says "* OK Akonadi Almost
>> IMAP Server [PROTOCOL 28] ".
>>
>> Actually, as I dig deeper, there is something very strange here.
>> My search would not have found the message I wanted, because the
>> mail folder in question is not listed.  When I looked at the
>> properties I found that I was offered the top-level Maildir
>> directory, cur, new, tmp and Inbox.Family.  I have no idea why
>> Inbox.Family is different from any other subdirectory, but even
>> that isn't enough.  Going back to reading mail, I realise that
>> I'm really only seeing Inbox/cur - not even Family.  There is no
>> possibility in the resource setup for connecting to the
>> sub-folder I really need,
>> /mnt/Data3/anne/Maildir/Inbox.Archives.
>
> Maildirs seem to be not so standard as expected. Do you have a
> standard local Maildir resource? For me it points to
> "~/.local/shared/local-mail/". When I look into the file system, I
> can see that this folder has only the usual cur/new/tmp folders.
> However, all my subfolders are located in
> "~/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/" and their subfolders are
> again in subfolders that follow this naming pattern, e.g.
> "~/.local/share/.local- mail.directory/.Projects.directory/", so
> you have something like:
>
> =========== %< ========== rootdir + Maildir | + cur | + new | + tmp
> + .Maildir.directory + Sub | + cur | + new | + tmp + .Sub.directory
> + Sub2 | + cur | + new | + tmp + .Sub2.directory + Sub3 + cur + new
> + tmp =========== %< ==========
>
> However, I have the Maildir structure you're describing when I
> look into the file system of my Courier IMAP server (i.e. all
> folders are inthe same directory and the hierarchy is defined by
> the dots):
>
> =========== %< ========== rootdir + Maildir + cur + new + tmp + Sub
> + cur + new + tmp + Sub.Sub2 + cur + new + tmp + Sub.Sub2.Sub3 +
> cur + new + tmp =========== %< ==========
>
> Based on this information, it should be possible to convert the
> existing structure with a script into one that the Akonadi Maildir
> resource understands.

Hi Jorge.  I don't have a local IMAP structure.  My IMAP server sits
~1m. away from me, and I have local mounts to my home on the server
and also to data directories.  The IMAP server is dovecot, and mail
structure on the server is as you describe.

I have no difficulty in reading my mail from there.  What I'm trying
to do, though, is to set another resource to point to a backup
directory, in order to recover some emails that were lost some time
back.  The missing mail is known to be in
/mnt/Data3/anne/Maildir/Inbox.Archives, and in Dolphin I can see the
messages, but there are many, and it's a pain to have to open each one
in kwrite :-)

What surprised me is that when I tried to modify the resource to point
to that subdirectory, the browser wouldn't let me descend through the
tree to get to it.  I wondered if "Manage local subscriptions" would
help, but again, only the top level Inbox is offered.  I can't find
the "Manage server-side subscriptions" that I know used to be
somewhere, so I didn't get chance to explore that.

Anne