[Kde-pim] Need to find archived message

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Aug 17 10:05:03 BST 2012

On Tuesday, 2012-08-14, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 14/08/12 19:18, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> >> Possible complication - if I open the new resource and try to
> >> search for a message, it tells me that it can't search because
> >> the Nepomuk-something isn't available, and that I can activate it
> >> in SystemSettings.  It is activated, and searching other
> >> resources works fine, so does this mean that the read-only part
> >> is interfering with searching?  Not a huge deal, if that's so,
> >> because I can always backup the backup :-) then remove the
> >> read-only bit.
> >
> > I doubt that the read-only character of the underlying file system
> > has any effect on the indexing. Check with Akonadiconsole that the
> > Nepomuk feeder agent is running and "online". Maybe remove and
> > re-add the maildir resource and list the folder content again.
> >
> > The feeder agent should get notified about the new mails and start
> > to index them.
>
> Not really sure what I'm looking for, or where to look for it, Kevin.
> Akonadiconsole seems to have many tabs, almost all of them totally
> empty.  The Raw socket says "* OK Akonadi Almost IMAP Server [PROTOCOL
> 28] ".

That would be on the first tab, then one labelled "Agents".

> Actually, as I dig deeper, there is something very strange here.  My
> search would not have found the message I wanted, because the mail
> folder in question is not listed.  When I looked at the properties I
> found that I was offered the top-level Maildir directory, cur, new,
> tmp and Inbox.Family.  I have no idea why Inbox.Family is different
> from any other subdirectory, but even that isn't enough.  Going back
> to reading mail, I realise that I'm really only seeing Inbox/cur - not
> even Family.  There is no possibility in the resource setup for
> connecting to the sub-folder I really need,
> /mnt/Data3/anne/Maildir/Inbox.Archives.

cur, new and tmp shouldn't be visible as folders in KMail, this are internals
of the maildir structure.

The maildir resource should be able to deal with any on-disk folder that has
those three subdirectories but I think it must not have any others (not sure
if it just ignores others or if it decides that this makes it a non-maildir
folder).

I saw in your other mail that the folder you are trying to access is
/mnt/Data3/anne/Maildir/Inbox.Archives

What kind of contents does that one have? cur/new/tmp, other sub directories
or emails?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring