[Kde-pim] \\N line break question

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Apr 7 12:10:08 BST 2012

On Saturday, 2012-04-07, Divan Santana wrote:
> Hi KDE Developers,
>
> I'm trying to create a good bug report but I need to ask some info from you
> first.
>
> I use akonadi_davgroupware to get my zimbra contacts.
>
> It works however kaddressbook displays a contacts notes section line breaks
> as a literal \N instead of actually interpreting a line break.

When I create a test contact with multi line notes the line break character is
\n (lower case n).

BEGIN:VCARD
FN:test
N:test;;;;
NOTE:line one\nline two\nline three\n
UID:8OD165Pope
VERSION:3.0
END:VCARD

However, if I read the vcard RFC correctly, both \n and \N are valid new line
sequences

        . The method for specifying CRLF character sequences in text
          type values has been changed. The CRLF character sequence in
          a text type value is specified with the backslash character
          sequence "\n" or "\N".

> I'm wondering if the bug is with kaddressbook or with akonadi_davgroupware.
> I think it's not Zimbra since my Android phone doesn't have an issue,
> although that syncs via MFE not Dav...

This could be a problem in our vcard parser, i.e. it should treat \N as a new
line sequence but it doesn't.

> If I enable debugging in akonadi console and view the contacts information
> being sync'ed I see this:
>
> * 464383 FETCH (UID 464383 REV 0 REMOTEID "https://mail.s-
> tainment.co.za/dav/divan at s-
> tainment.co.za/Contacts/8e548460-3843-4e39-9d71-19c7dad93864:522525.vcf"
> MIMETYPE "text/directory" COLLECTIONID 1899 SIZE 367 DATETIME "05-Apr-2012
> 21:09:30 +0000" REMOTEREVISION "\"548729-548729\"" FLAGS () PLD:RFC822
> {367} BEGIN:VCARD EMAIL:firstname at lastname.org FN:Lastname\, Firstname
> N:Lastname;Firstname;;; NOTE:This is line one of the notes section\\NThis
> is line two of the notes section\\NThis is line three of the notes

Can you try to export that to a vcard from within Zimbra and check how it
looks when it has not been processed by CardDav, the resource and so on?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring