[Kde-pim] KCal with KABC and maintainers?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:03:51 BST 2012

Hi,

At first i mailed this question to the people mentioned in the copyright
from KCal and KABC but that gave me a reply back that none of those are active
in KOrganizer development anymore. Thus sending it to the PIM list.

I was browsing though the KCal code to figure how i could make a Qt/KDE/QML
application which uses as much of kde pim as possible. It's interesting to
think about and i "might have" started already in QML ^_- [1, 2].
One thing i found a bit strange was KABC::Addressee and KCal::Attendee
(which inherits KCal::Person). This "seems" redundant to me as KDE has
a address book that uses KABC (assumption!) yet the KCalendar uses it's own
person data.. Perhaps it might be worth to use KABC inside KCal? I don't
know if there is any special reason why it's done the way it's done right
now.

My guess is that
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdepimlibs-apidocs/kcal/html/classKCal_1_1IncidenceBase.html
would
need to be changed a bit to either have a "addAttendee(KABC::Addressee*
attendee)" or to simply let the current KCal::Attendee inherit from
KABC::Addressee. The later option seems the most clean one to me.

Perhaps more KCal parts can be combined with other parts of pim to make it
even more powerful?

A maintainer question. Who is currently in charge of the following
components specifically:
KAlarmCal (KAlarm app and
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdepimlibs-apidocs/kalarmcal/html/index.html which
seems kinda redundant since we also have
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdepimlibs-apidocs/kcal/html/classKCal_1_1Alarm.html
)
KCalendar (the app, but also the class KCal and KCalCore)
KAddressBook (the app and KABC)

What's the difference between KCal and KCalCore?

Kind regards,
Mark

[1, 2] This is done in QML with a custom QDate class as backend that fills
the month model. This has no PIM stuff in it (yet!) and is FAR from even
being usable. Just teasers for now! Please do not have any expectations
because of the images below. I kinda tend to start interesting projects
easily and abandon them equally easily when i lose interest in them just
for the project to end up somewhere ready for bitrot.
[1] Month view : http://ompldr.org/vZGR0YQ
[2] Year view : http://ompldr.org/vZGR0Yg