[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Del delonly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:31:42 BST 2012

On Friday, April 13, 2012 04:23:16 PM ianseeks wrote:
> On Friday 13 Apr 2012 15:59:01 Del wrote:

> >  they have supported the modular approach in
> > Akonadi speaks volumes, it is exactly what enables multiple server
> > side protocols and multiple clients without sacrificing performance or
> > stability.
>
> If Kontact etc was truly modular, it would follow the Unix way and you'd be
> able to install kontact without Akonadi etc and it would still work as it
> should. That is my only gripe with kontact, bugs come with all software
> during development.

The 4.4 version is still available I believe, and is what all stable distros
ship still. I believe the problem keeping both back-ends is more that 4.4. is
not really modular, so supporting that as an additional back-end would require
quite an effort. In principle I agree though, if it was easy, I would like it.
Others have far better overview of this code base than me though.

Cheers,
Del