[Kde-pim] Mix of config and cache data

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Apr 23 13:34:51 BST 2012

Am 23.04.2012 14:11, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Monday, 2012-04-23, Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> Hallo
>>
>> I lost many mails end of last year due to deleting akonadi DB (not
>> syncing akonadi DB in my migration to a new computer). I had set up some
>> expiry on some folders which were messed up after this. AFAIK there was
>> a thread about this topic end of December 2011.
>>
>> My Question: Is this still the case that cache data and configuration
>> data are mixed in the akonadi DB? Is this going to be changed in new
>> versions? It is because I don't want to backup caching data and I want
>> to be able to clean the cache as well.
>
> You can configure the size threshold which is used to determine whether to
> store cache information in the DB or in files.
>
> See $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/akonadi/akonadiserverrc, variable SizeThreshold
>
> 0 should force out-of-DB cache

I like the idea to use a DB for storing cache data. May be it is a good
idea to store config data in a DB as well, but I an not sure that it is
a good idea to store configuration and cache data in the same DB (IMHO
it is a bad idea).

I am not sure that I understand the SizeThreshold parameter. Is this the
amount of data (MBytes or data sets) that are stored in the cache DB?
What are the consequences if I set this value to 0 or a even higher
value than the default.

Martin