[Kde-pim] API change in patch release

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 08:29:12 BST 2012

On Saturday, 2012-03-31, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just saw on #kontact that KAddressBook seems to require a specific patch
> release of 4.8 kdepimlibs now.
>
> Apparently there was an API addition in StandardContactActionManager and
> respective usage in KAddressBook.
>
> I was under the impression that we don't do that, especially since it makes
> packaging harder.

I just found this [1]:

"They must not contain:
 API changes in public libraries"

and

"In case you need absolutely new API or new strings to fix a important bug,
approval from the relevant teams is needed.
 For API changes in public libraries you need the approval of kde-core-devel"

This API change seems to be originating from a bugs fix, however I didn't see
any discussion on either core devel or here.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Minor_Point_Release_Policy

KDE user support, developer mentoring