[Kde-pim] akonadi

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Apr 12 12:45:16 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 13:10 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2012 11.50:18 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > I don't think that would happen with ownCloud. CalDAV and CardDAV is using
> > SabreDAV which is pretty well tested.
>
> And what would SabreDAV transmit if it gets an empty data set?
>
> One possibility would be that it would then transmit a perfectly valid and
> robust, but empty CardDAV folder.

I'm pretty sure it would throw an exception, but not 100%. I will have to test
what happens if e.g. there's no DB connection - one more entry on ToDo list
;-)

> Of course I don't know whether that is what happens, nor do I want to say
> that ownCloud should not be used -- quite the contrary. But I wanted to
> point out that until it has actually been properly debugged and tracked
> down there is more than one possibility as to what happened.
>
> And right now it seems people are only too willing to always blame Akonadi
> for everything that goes wrong anywhere, so by now it gets is fair share of
> blame for its actual issues, and then some.
>
> To base such strong language on such a weak analysis seemed questionable.
>
> Actually, use of that kind of language always seems questionable.

I absolutely agree.

> > I use two different IMAP accounts with very little trouble. Again when
> > connection to the server is lost the resource doesn't always act in a very
> > sensible way, and suddenly sends out a multitude of errors for each
> > subfolder before it goes offline.
>
> Odd. That one I haven't seen yet.

[snip]

> But besides the occasional restart of the agent once a week or so it all
> works as expected and by now also increasingly fast. There are still
> improvements to be made, of course, but for the most part it now does what
> it should.

My hosting provider is a bit unstable from time to time. I guess that's the
reason.

> On the calendar side, the calendars work, but it is very slow in startup and
> sometimes when adding events. Kontact then takes 98% CPU for a couple of
> minutes. My suspicion however is that this is caused by some flakey data in
> one of the calendars, as I have about 40 calendar folders, some of them are
> filled with sample or test data, and we often play with experimental setups
> as part of the Kolab 3.0 development cycle.

OK I only use one ownCloud calendar and it works just fine - when the server
is up. And the occasional local test servers, but all in all it works fine for
me, and very fast actually.

> Those last points I file under "just didn't have the time yet, not
> necessarily the system's fault, or obscure enough issues that noone hit
> them yet."

The rough edges that can be taken care of later. There are some issues I only
notice because I run test servers with a lot of exports from different places.
Actually ownCloud is getting pretty good at importing totally malformed VCards
by now:-)

> And for tasks, I am currently experimenting with Zanshin, which is
> increasingly becoming the kind of application I want, and I am very excited
> to see the things discussed during the KDE PIM meeting put into practice.

I hadn't seen that. Looks promising.

> > I'm not saying this is a good situation for the end users, but as a long
> > time avid KDEPIM user I can live with it because I realize the need for
> > this transition in the long term if KDE is to have a reliable and
> > extensible PIM solution.
>
> Indeed. There is still work to be done, and I'd love to find ways to resolve
> the remaining issues as soon as we can. But KDE PIM is already a lot better
> than most people give it credit for, and there are exciting things in its
> near to mid term future which I am really looking forward to.

Agreed again :-)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus