[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:26:56 BST 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:11:15 AM Del wrote:

> <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see a lot of mention of the advanced features that akonadi can support
> > that others (such as Thunderbird) don't - but we've been hearing that for
> > years now.
>
> Thunderbird doesn't do simple groupware functionality with anything
> but Google services last time I checked.

All I and a *lot* of users want - and it works well in Thunderbird

>  In the mean
>
> > time the basics don't work. Address book sync. Calendar Sync, Address
> > lookup.
>
> They work for me, all of them. Are you using 4.8.2 now?

yes.

And no they don't work - not reliably. Most of the time is not good enough.

And I also meant address book completeion. A utterly std feature that is known
not to work in 4.8x

>. Kolab syncing has been remarkably stable
> though.

Kolab is very much an edge case, its a trivial number of users compared to the
number of people that want to sync their google mail, calendars and
addressbooks.

> > Side Note: Oddly enough Android does an excellent job of linking all my
> > face book, gmail and phone contacts. Akonadi doesn't.
>
> Really? My shiny Galaxy S2 doesn't even sync my address book at work,
> which is using the _only_ groupware protocol Android supports, namely
> Microsoft's activesync.

? So you don't know how to set it up. Syncs fine with my work email. Syncs
perfectly with all my google stuff, whcih is a groupware protocol last time I
checked.

> Not to mention, it has no support for
> scheduling. Have you tried syncing it with a large mailbox? It utterly
> fails to provide even the most basic functionality.

? Again? Copes with my very large Gmail inbox just fine - which I know is a
largely online experience. Also copes fine with my very large work IMAP
account. But its a phone for gods sake - you *don't* want it to sync 5 GB of
email. You don't understand resource limited devices if you think it should. I
have yet to see akonadi syncing on a phone, if it pulled everything down I'd
be pissed.

> bring myself to whine about it here, simply because I know that you
> and I could have improved it quite dramatically by contributing to it

Nope. tried it. Utterly impenatrable.

> with about the same amount of energy we are now burning here on the
> mailinglist with our ego-trip.

And that is the akonadi dev way - people bring up ligetimate problems, they're
either ignored or told they don't appreciate the beauty of the architecture.
If in frustration they lash out, then they are just trolls on a ego trip.

--
Lindsay