[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Del delonly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:14:23 BST 2012

>> Thunderbird doesn't do simple groupware functionality with anything
>> but Google services last time I checked.
>
> All I and a *lot* of users want - and it works well in Thunderbird

Yes, a lot of users want proprietary software to work well. Indeed.
And you will find a shiny new Akonadi plugin for Google services that
should work nicely now.

> And no they don't work - not reliably.

With google services?

> And I also meant address book completeion. A utterly std feature that is known
> not to work in 4.8x

I will have to check later today, I believe it worked last time I checked.

> Kolab is very much an edge case, its a trivial number of users compared to the
> number of people that want to sync their google mail, calendars and
> addressbooks.

It is arguably the only viable free alternative on the server side,
and hence should have priority in my book. Sacrificing open solutions
in favour of popular proprietary offerings is a dangerous route. I
believe Google is fully responsible for not providing protocols
already supported.

>> Really? My shiny Galaxy S2 doesn't even sync my address book at work,
>> which is using the _only_ groupware protocol Android supports, namely
>> Microsoft's activesync.
>
> ? So you don't know how to set it up. Syncs fine with my work email. Syncs
> perfectly with all my google stuff, whcih is a groupware protocol last time I
> checked.

In which client app? The one that only caches about ten mails and is
also closed source? Do you find it well designed?

>  But its a phone for gods sake - you *don't* want it to sync 5 GB of
> email. You don't understand resource limited devices if you think it should.

Eh, it has a quite capable dual core 1.2GHz ARM CPU, 1GB of ram and
more than enough space to use 5GB for e-mail+contacts+calendar
storage. I certainly would like that. I have hardly found any apps
worthy of filling up the storage space anyway, but my groupware data
is important to me.

>> bring myself to whine about it here, simply because I know that you
>> and I could have improved it quite dramatically by contributing to it
>
> Nope. tried it. Utterly impenatrable.

Sorry about my tone there, I believe we all can get emotional in this
dialogue. I actually did test and document how to set up and use
Thunderbird with Kolab, and have generally contributed to Kolab
documentation, but not to kde-pim. I have just migrated to RH6 at
work, and as soon as I have ironed out basic issues there I will need
to get out of tree kde-pim+akonadi running with exchange sync. A good
occasion for me to try to contribute. So if you like, take out your
frustration on the documentation on me. I really feel bad about not
helping out. I feel responsible.

> And that is the akonadi dev way - people bring up ligetimate problems, they're
> either ignored or told they don't appreciate the beauty of the architecture.

Please do not generalise to devs based on my post. I am not a kde-pim
dev. As I said initially, I am best categorized as a fellow user. My
impression is that the devs are very perceptive, even when the
criticism is less than constructive. I do firmly believe in positive
reinforcement though.

Cheers,
Del