[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Fri Apr 13 12:35:06 BST 2012

Den 13-04-2012 09:11, Del skrev:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
> <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >  I see a lot of mention of the advanced features that akonadi can support
>> >  that others (such as Thunderbird) don't - but we've been hearing that for
>> >  years now.

For me it is not a question of thunderbird doing things better than kmail.

Honestly, I think kmail could be a much better mail client than
thunderbird - if only the basics would work.

Without kmail
* my mail is downloaded without using power enough to run a mediumsized
african capotol
* my mail safely stored in exactly one copy pr mail
* my mail correctly filtered when I see it appear
* my CPU does not go bonkers with virtuoso-t infinitely spinning
* I can search my mail
* I get autocompletion
* My contacts are safely stored

On the other hand
* I will miss the kde integration
* I already miss the elegant look
* I have only one identity
* I have no nice mailing list support
* In general, kmail is much more polished and feature rich.

I think those above mentioned basic features are not unreasonable wishes
for a mail client. If a kmail version with those abilities ever is
released, I will happily switch back.

For now, I feel let down by kmail, akonadi and the kdepim community, to
a degree that that might be harder to repair than the software itself :(

Anders