[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

ianseeks ianseeks at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Apr 13 18:48:08 BST 2012

On Friday 13 Apr 2012 17:56:52 Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Friday 13 Apr 2012 17:31:42 Del wrote:
> > > If Kontact etc was truly modular, it would follow the Unix way and you'd
> > > be
> > > able to install kontact without Akonadi etc and it would still work as
> > > it
> > > should. That is my only gripe with kontact, bugs come with all software
> > > during development.
> >
> > The 4.4 version is still available I believe, and is what all stable
> > distros  ship still. I believe the problem keeping both back-ends is more
> > that 4.4. is not really modular, so supporting that as an additional
> > back-end would require quite an effort. In principle I agree though, if it
> > was easy, I would like it. Others have far better overview of this code
> > base than me though.
>
> While current Kontact is much more modular than the old version (you could
> replace the Akonadi server implementation, for example) there is no way to
> keep the 4.4 backend with the current Kontact frontend UI.  The reason is
> that the current code has been almost completely rewritten for Akonadi,
> keeping some of the superficial UI code and writing new lookalike UI in
> other places. In effect it is a new program with the same name.
>
> So what Ian is asking for is providing the old and new Kontact
> implementations in parallel.  There is definitely no manpower to do this in
> KDE PIM.  I did provide legacy kdepim (4.3) an for openSUSE for a couple of
> releases and stopped as nobody seemed to care.  As a packaging-old-code
> problem, it is trivial, but it includes all the old bugs that nobody
> upstream will look at any more.

Thats not quite what i mean. My idea would be that Akonadi would work on the
data produced by Kontact so the Kontact data is its own and Akondai's output
is its own. In a stand alone situation Akonadi should depend on Kontact and
not Kontact depending on Akonadi. That way, Akonadi can be switched on or off
and it not affect anything else.
Anyway, I guess we have to accept it the way it is and just wait for the next
releases.

> And if I may plug my own stuff a bit, I've made a set of KDE 4.8 packages
> that split along boring old features and cool new things lines, so Akonadi
> and Nepomuk are completely optional.  I'll blog about them over the
> weekend.
>
> Will

regards

Ian