[Kde-pim] Can't report bugs problem - solution

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Apr 5 14:06:22 BST 2012

On Thursday, April 05, 2012 08:11:56 AM Anne Wilson did opine:

> Two or three weeks ago an email went out telling that the bugs.kde.org
> site was migrating, and that in order to tidy up the system all users
> were asked to log in on the old system before a specific date.  Users
> that didn't would find their account disabled.  It is, however, still
> present, at least for a while.
>
> The deadline passed a few days ago.  The solution is to go to
> https://bugs.kde.org - it's a new, more user-friendly design for
> reporting - and look at the login area.  There is a forgotten password
> link there.  Use that and you will be issued with a temporary
> password.  Logging in with the temporary password lets you re-set your
> password.
>
> If you have changed your email address but still have access to the
> old address, you should use that to request the temporary password,
> after which you will be able to change your bugzilla account to your
> current address.  If you no longer have access to the old account you
> will need to create a new one with your new address.
>
> (Note that some options for using bugzilla, such as advanced
> searching, are in the drop-down accessed from the black icon,
> top-right.)
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Anne

Humm, thanks to FF and saved passwords, I am actually logged in, I think.
It refused to allow me to create a new account, I already existed at that
email address.  I didn't see where I could have it send me a 1st of the
month reminder in my preferences.

However I don't see anything that would allow me to access, either to file
a bug, or read and triage them.  Very bare screen.  Ah, found it, a teeny
little browse button, shows a list of packages in 1 line format.  So I did
look around some in the k3b section (suggestion, sort that initial "which
package" list alphabetically, k3b was many screens down from the top)
without seeing 2 things, first, that a bug had actually been traiged, all
UNCO or NEW, with some of the NEW dating back to 2007.  Nor did I see a
description of what I would have called mine that has already been filed.

I no longer have the data I pasted to this list as I have had about 20
crashes in the last 3 days, finally finding the culprit from 2 lines that
actually made it to the log before a total trip to /dev/null.  NVidia
strikes again, I had to take the video card out, peel the label on the back
of that $0,37 cent fan & spend 20 minutes working several drops of oil thru
it, spinning it with an air hose until I could actually see the blades
doing a magnetic bounce as they stopped. Then I washed the remains of the
label & oil overflow off with tri-chlor & acetone & sealed it back up with
a tab of Scotch 88.

Somehow, the GPU temp had fallen out of my gkrellm display so I had no clue
it was running at 50 rpm until I burned a finger on the cards heat sink.
Restored now in the gkrellm display, still the hottest temp showing at 63C,
but its running, and quieter than its been in months.

One would think they would use a ball bearing fan on a card selling at
nearly $100 USD.  But nope, an oilite bushing is good enough cuz they'll
usually just sell another card when the fan fails.  MBA's, we ought to put
a bounty on them.

Reminds me a bit of Antec PSU's that sell at quite elevated prices ($100
USD and up) because of the so-called engineering in them I guess.  I've had
3 in this machine, all finally faded and sagged out of tolerance within 2
weeks of the warranty expiring.  No more, I put a 350 watt rated HiPro in
it 2 years ago which has not drifted a millivolt since, $29.
Theoretically, 350 watts is not enough for this machine. 4gigs of dram, an
early phenom that is very hungry, all slots full and 4 1Tb drives.  Its
maxed and happy as a clam.

But we're in the middle of a major crisis here, we're out of coffee!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Insults are effective only where emotion is present.
		-- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?"  stardate 3468.1