[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

Marcus Harrison marcus.harrison at harrisonland.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 11:13:29 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 18:49:34 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> 2012/4/12 Georg C. F. Greve <greve at kolabsys.com>
>
> > On Thursday 12 April 2012 08.30:50 ianseeks wrote:
> > > I must admit i still don't see the reason for Akonadi etc other than an
> > > "itch  to scratch". I can't rationalise this direction at all, it just
> > > seems so over designed and over engineered for the ordinary user.
> >
> > Assuming that the ordinary user never wants to use mobile phones or
> > tablets,
> > never has more than one email account with a couple of mails per day, and
> > never uses Facebook or any other social media service, you're probably
> > right
> > that Akonadi is overdesigned. Who needs that Web 2.0 stuff, anyhow?
>
> Oddly enough I have all those things - Multiple accounts, calendars,address
> book all on line. My Android Phone and Thunderbird interop with them just
> fine. Funny how an ancient legacy app like thunderbird works so well with
> that stuff.
>
> Whereas Akonadi does not. At best it syncs some of the calendar stuff and
> address books, but it always misses some items or takes days to notice
> changes. At worst it destroys them - and that happens often enough I only
> use it with test accounts.
>
> > Assuming however that ordinary users do at least some of these things,
> > Akonadi
> > or something like it was inevitable.
>
> I disagree strongly - a centralized middle man to sync all these things
> sounds great in theory, but in practice its turned out to be an over
> engineered mess with far to many fragile components, any one of which can
> break the whole chain. And no one seems to have a clear overview.

It's not over-engineered, it's just under-worked. It fits right in line with
KDE's Solid and Phonon frameworks, both of which are stable, solid and work
well.

The difference is, those two frameworks have been thoroughly tested since KDE
4.0. KDEPIM is only just releasing full Akonadi-based applications and, though
they might work well for the developers, the developers have a much smaller
testbase than KDE users (their builds of Akonadi+KDEPIM on their distro of
choice with their version of the KDE libraries).

I think it would have been better if the KDEPIM released some simple, "dumbed-
down" applications with KDE 4.0 even if just for the sake of testing Akonadi.
Shouldn't have called it KDEPIM, KMail etc., but something else. But they
haven't, so it's not been tested as thoroughly so it's still got problems.

Give the devs a break. They're not out to make your life hell.

Marcus Harrison