[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

ianseeks ianseeks at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 12 08:30:50 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 Apr 2012 09:09:26 Anders Lund wrote:
> AndersOn Torsdag den 12. april 2012 08:31:10  Lund wrote:
> > Once again, kaddressbook deleted an entire resource. All my data got lost,
> > though I may have backup.
> >
> > FUCK YOU AKONADISASTER PILE OF CRAB.
>
> The deleted resource is kept in owncloud, and accessed via webdav. I think
> what happens is that if there is a defunct network connection where a web
> login is required, akonadi uncritically empties the resource and later
> overwrites it with a bland file.
>
> I am nearing the end of my time as a kdepim user though, I am simply tired
> of key applications getting in the way. You will probably be very happy to
> not have me as a user :)
Is the old KDEPIM still installable to use for live work rather than using a
"work in progress" KDEPIM?

> Obviously, data not being safely storaged by the akonadisaster system is
> unacceptable. Why not check the data you read and NOT delete data if what
> you get is not a VCARD file? It is really IDIOTIC.
>
> I got SICK of having all my mail in one big pile, so I moved all the
> maillist stuff into a different resource and turned my filters on again.
> Now kmail creates one extra copy of every mail that is moved by a filter.
The way around the duplicate email via filters is:-
1. tick the box in the filter creation section that puts a button on the tool
bar for it
2. untick the option to apply it on incoming emails.
3. Select all emails in Inbox
4. Click each filter button.
I've not had any duplicated emails since. They've also got a process that
deletes a duplicate as you open it, seems like a bit of "hack" to correct
something that they don't know how it happens in the first place.
> copy is most often but not always created, and is most often but not always
> readable, sometimes it just can't be opened. In some cases none of the
> copies can be opened => data loss.
>
> Appearently kmail also makes nepomuk/virtuoso-t go bonkers still, sucking
> all battery and making the system unusable for other purposes untill
> akonadi, nepomuk, virtuoso and kmail is killed.
>
> All in all, kmail is a PITA to use, given the myriad of bugs and errors and
> fuckedupness it comes with.
>
> I think it is a disaster for KDE that applications that could integrate well
> and add value to the experience sucks so bad! Shame on you, kdepim team.
I must admit i still don't see the reason for Akonadi etc other than an "itch
to scratch". I can't rationalise this direction at all, it just seems so over
designed and over engineered for the ordinary user.  But i will still keep
using Kmail etc, it will eventually come right but lets hope it doesn't become
a system full of hacks to fix designed and coding issues.