[Kde-pim] Kmail2 doesn't remember passwords

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 22:13:05 BST 2011

On Monday 05 September 2011, ianseeks wrote:
> On Monday 05 Sep 2011 13:53:40 Valentin Rusu wrote:
> > On 09/05/2011 09:24 AM, ianseeks wrote:
> > > hi
> > >
> > > If you don't use KDE Wallet, kmail2 never remembers your ISP
> > > logon password even though i tick the box to remember it.
>
> yes, but why can't kmail2 remember it like kmail 1 - it seems like a
> bug to me.

We chose to reduce the unnecessary complexity caused by providing two
different ways for storing the password. We chose to reduce this
complexity by removing the old, totally unsafe, legacy way of storing
the password. We should have removed it as soon as KWallet was
available, but we didn't. In retrospect, this was an oversight which has
cost us quite some maintenance effort. With KMail2 we finally made a
clean cut.

> > > Is there any way i can force it to remember and stop prompting me
> > > for it every time?
> >
> > Yes, by activating KDE Wallet :)
> >
> > That's the intent of KWallet : you give only one password when a
> > first application needs to use a secret (like your password). The
> > wallet will remain open and  subsequent secret access will
> > automatically be granted to requesting applications, eliminating
> > multiple password prompts.
>
> I understand that but having a choice is a fundemental feature of
> open source. Being forced into using kwallet is more of a feature of
> a company like Apple or MS

You are misinterpreting this principle.

You have several choices:
- KMail is Free Software. This means you can create (or make somebody
else create) your own version of KMail which stores your password in the
way you prefer. Neither with Apple Mail nor with Microsoft Outlook you
have this choice.
- You can use any other Free Software (or even non-free) email client
you want. We do not stop you from using/installing other software (like
Apple does on several devices).

If offering choice costs too much additional effort (in maintenance, in
further development because one has to make sure that one does not break
any of the options, in testing, etc.) then it is in the best interest of
the developers, the maintainers and the users to reduce complexity.
Usually, less complexity means more stability. Would you rather have
complex software offering lots of choices or would your rahter have
stable software?

Regards,
Ingo