[Kde-pim] Kmail2 doesn't remember passwords

ianseeks ianseeks at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Sep 7 08:47:40 BST 2011

On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 23:13:05 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 05 September 2011, ianseeks wrote:

> > yes, but why can't kmail2 remember it like kmail 1 - it seems like a
> > bug to me.
>
> We chose to reduce the unnecessary complexity caused by providing two
> different ways for storing the password. We chose to reduce this
> complexity by removing the old, totally unsafe, legacy way of storing
> the password
 > We should have removed it as soon as KWallet was
> available, but we didn't. In retrospect, this was an oversight which has
> cost us quite some maintenance effort. With KMail2 we finally made a
> clean cut.
it would have been (i think) better if the changes happened invisibly. Getting
questions like <akonadi resource require....> is completely meaningless to the
lay person, its developer talk.  The passwords could have been slipped into
Kwallet without the user even knowing or caring by using the exisitng kmail1
dialogs.

> > > Yes, by activating KDE Wallet :)
> > >
> > > That's the intent of KWallet : you give only one password when a
> > > first application needs to use a secret (like your password). The
> > > wallet will remain open and  subsequent secret access will
> > > automatically be granted to requesting applications, eliminating
> > > multiple password prompts.
> >
> > I understand that but having a choice is a fundemental feature of
> > open source. Being forced into using kwallet is more of a feature of
> > a company like Apple or MS
>
> You are misinterpreting this principle.
>
> You have several choices:
> - KMail is Free Software. This means you can create (or make somebody
> else create) your own version of KMail which stores your password in the
> way you prefer.

I think if i had the ability/money to do so, i would fork as the configuration
and some of the of kmail2 features seem overkill, such as all the akonadi
stuff. I've not been able to get my head around the purpose or benefits of it.

> Neither with Apple Mail nor with Microsoft Outlook you
> have this choice.

So true thats why i won't use them

> - You can use any other Free Software (or even non-free) email client
> you want. We do not stop you from using/installing other software (like
> Apple does on several devices).
>
> If offering choice costs too much additional effort (in maintenance, in
> further development because one has to make sure that one does not break
> any of the options, in testing, etc.) then it is in the best interest of
> the developers, the maintainers and the users to reduce complexity.
> Usually, less complexity means more stability. Would you rather have
> complex software offering lots of choices or would your rahter have
> stable software?
I definitely prefer stable but to me the Kmail2 configuration looks more
complex than kmail1. I think if kmail2 imported the kmail1 data/config data
and then transparently merged it into the new system without any user
intervention, it may have caused a few less painful experiences.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Thanks for your comments on mine.

regards