[Kde-pim] Resource for local mail folders

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Sep 21 10:03:47 BST 2011

Andreas Gungl wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've got a question regarding the resource type for the migrated local
> folders. Initially I had some mbox folders when I migrated to kmail2. So I
> ended up with a mixed maildir resource.
>
> In the meantime I've only maildir folders. Does it make sense from a
> technical POV to use a pure maildir resource instead of the mixed one?
> Perhaps it takes less heap space, or it might be more robust?

I recommend maildir, especially starting from KDE 4.8 and probably 4.7.2. :)
With 4.7.1 I'm not sure it is better maildir vs. mixedmaildir. It is not
about code quality, but the fact that mixedmaildir's code is obviously more
complicated as it has two deal with both mbox and maildir structures.

> If you recommend to switch, what are the steps to do so?

The safest is to create a new maildir and point it to the existing maildir
folder. Unfortunately this will results with all mails marked as unread if
you use 4.7.1 or prior and even with the fixed maildir in the upcoming 4.8
mails you received since you use KMail2 will be marked unread.
You will also need to adapt your filters to move/copy the mails to the right
folder.

As a summary: wait until 4.7.2 or 4.8 is released and switch to maildir.

Andras