[Kde-pim] About Kmail-2

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Oct 15 18:44:14 BST 2011

Denny wrote:

> Am Freitag, 14. Oktober 2011, 18:11:44 schrieb Markus Slopianka:
>> KMail 1 runs under KR 4.7 in case you want the older version. Not sure
>> how you can get KMail 1 packages for Kubuntu 11.10 but under openSUSE
>> 11.4 it works just fine.
>>
>> Best way for KMail 2 is not automatic migration but a fresh start with
>> clean settings.
> Please, post any documentation / guidelines how to do this, while keeping
> all existing data. This is what I would like to do, as soon as I have some
> strategy to import my data. I'm using kontakt for quite some time and
> would like to see all my business/private calendar/addressbook coming with
> me. Because I'm using imap for mal, I'm not too worried about the mail
> migration.

Start Kmail2, don't do the migration. Create new IMAP account, create new
maildir account and point to the existing maildir folder, etc. There are
some downside of doing it instead of migration (assuming you have 4.7.2,
which you should have, there were many bugfixes in 4.7.2, including data
loss fixes);
-your IMAP mails will be downloaded again. Of course you should NOT have
not-synchronized KMail1 IMAP accounts, otherwise it might happen that your
mail is not yet on the server, so KMail2 has no chance to get that.
- if you had local filters, they won't be migrated

Same for calendars, if you keep it in local files, or add a Kolab resource
if you use a Kolab groupware server.

In general KMail2 and KMail1 can live aside, they even have different
configuration files. For IMAP they will use a different cache, while for
maildir, they could even share the same maildir folders.

Andras