[Kde-pim] Need help with the undefined reference hack

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 19 10:29:53 BST 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:57 AM, "Christophe Giboudeaux"
<cgiboudeaux at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2011 10:26:12 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:53 PM, "Milian Wolff" <mail at milianw.de>
> >
> > wrote:

> > > Cannot help sadly, probably just cause some more problems:
> > >
> > > - will this work on other platforms?
> > > - will this work with different linkers (esp. ld.gold vs old ld?)
> >
> > I think André Heinecke made it work on windows, not sure about mac.
> > It is quite possible that this breaks with other linkers/platforms and I
> > don't have another solution to that than disabling the email_feeder.
> > It's only a temporary solution and not a critical part of the system
> > after all.
>
> The nepomuk_email_feeder was disabled for Windows and Mac which confirms
> that
> silencing the build errors is a mistake that must be avoided at all cost.
>
> In the current state, kdepim 4.8 cannot be released, so unless a real fix
> is
> applied, I suggest reverting this dirty hack and resurrect the previous
> email
> feeder.

That is IMO much less off an option, the previous feeder not only used
loads of cpu resources in way that we got many complaints, but the way
it fed the data into nepomuk is actually considered harmful. I'd rather
disable the feeder altogether than reverting back.
However at least a version which does no indexing of encrypted content
could be moved to kdepim-runtime which would already cover most usecases
and avoid those problems we're having now. If we get a way to decrypt
the emails into kdepimlibs it could even stay there forever (which I
would prefer).

> Also, note that the kdepim-runtime plugin still doesn't have an
> acceptable
> license (http://ebn.kde.org/krazy/reports/kde-4.x/kdepim-
> runtime/agents/index.html). In the current state, it cannot be moved in
> kdepimlibs.

Will fix that.

Christian