[Kde-pim] Moving pim data to new kde install

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 4 09:32:01 GMT 2011

On Friday, 2011-11-04, Denny Beyer wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 20:32, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2011, ianseeks wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be nice to have a "kontact" link directory that you could
> > > just copy and it pulled in all the various parts of the PIM together
> > > instead of having to search out all the disparate parts of it.
> >
> > There is such a directory. It's called $HOME. I will not get tired of
> > preaching that the only sensible way of migration to a new system is a
> > full copy of the entire $HOME directory. I have been doing this
> > successfully about 7 times or so for the last 15 years and I have never
> > lost a single bit of data.
>
> All your data have been automatically converted and transfered between
> versions from kde1 through to kde4 with kontact 2/ kde4.7.x by just keeping
> your $home as it is with no user interaction required? Wow. I'm impressed.

Actually I think that's quite common.
My setup is not nearly as old, more like 10 years. One factor benefiting
continuity is of course continuity of the software used on that $HOME.
For example the packagers providing my distribution's KDE packages have always
kept KDE paths the way KDE had released them, allowing newer versions of
applications to find and reuse their configuration and data.
Adjustments to these, e.g. changing of certain default locations, can lead to
disruption if not maintained or tested equally well.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring