[Kde-pim] Moving pim data to new kde install

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 08:34:33 GMT 2011

ianseeks wrote:

> To my mind, having the data for Konact spread all over the file structure
> is more complicated. We're not all developers and highly technical but
> making things simpler would be more reassuring.  I realise there is a huge
> legacy of changes to Kontact and its parts and it maybe a huge undertaking
> to do it.

Don't forget that:
- Kontact is not a single application (why would you mix KMail and
Korganizer data?), it is a "meta" application, a shell gathering different
other applications under one umbrella.
- Akonadi is not Kontact specific, think about the plasma applets using it.
Akonadi is not even KDE specific.
- KMail can deal with mails stored in different location
- we deal with setups coming from different distributions and KDE versions

 Where do you want to mix all of that? How would it possible at all to store
everything inside one directory?
 That's why Ingo says the only real painless solution is to copy the whole
$HOME.
 Yes, you can do some gathering yourself if you want, copy all the related
data files/folders under one place (e.g .local, like .local/share/local-
mail, .local/share/contacts, etc - those folders even exists nowadays), but
you will still have configuration settings in different directories
(.config, .kde4/share/config). That's how Linux configuration and data
directories are organized...

Andras