[Kde-pim] URGENT Mentoring tasks for KMail for Google Code-In

Christian Boltz kde-bugs at cboltz.de
Mon Nov 21 23:05:09 GMT 2011

Hello,

preamble:
- sorry for the delay, I was away for some days and just came home
- I'm not subscribed to the kde-pim mailinglist. If it is subscribers-
  only, my mail will not reach the list

Am Sonntag, 20. November 2011 schrieb Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> You added some Google Code-In tasks for KMail at
> http://community.kde.org/GoogleCodeIn/2011/Ideas
> so we're asking you if you are mentoring them.
> Otherwise can you ask the KMail people if someone can? It would be a
> great opportunity to triage some bugs but this needs a mentor.
> The contest starts tomorrow so this is pretty urgent.

I added this task after a discussion in #kde-bugs on 2011-11-01. The
initial issue was that the bugzilla permissions for KMail1 were
extremely tight. I wanted to add a comment to one of the KMail1 bugs,
which wasn't allowed at that time.

After some discussion with krop, neverendingo_ and Mamarok about the
handling of KMail1 bugs, they asked me to add the task to the wiki.
That's all - and then you surprised me with your mail ;-)

I'm "only" a KMail user. Maybe I qualify as heavy user, but this still
means I don't know any internals and have never read the KMail sources.
In other words: I'm afraid I'm not qualified to be a mentor.

IMHO it would really make sense if a KMail developer would mentor this
task because he/she could help the student much better than I could (for
example, he could say "this feature request doesn't make sence, wontfix"
while I could only say "not implemented yet, keep it open").

I hope you are not too disappointed about this "soft no". If everything
else fails (as in "none of the KMail developers can do mentoring") _and_
you think I can do the mentoring, I might reconsider my answer.
Please note that my day job has nothing to do with computers, so I would
only be available in the evenings (CET) and have only a limited amount
of time available.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
In its default setup, Windows XP on the Internet amounts to a car parked
in a bad part of town, with the doors unlocked, the key in the ignition