[Kde-pim] Holidays file format: a holiday renamed in 2011

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 6 21:13:41 GMT 2011

On Sunday 06 November 2011, Alexander Potashev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This year "militsiya" in Russia was renamed to police, so was the
> "Day of militsiya". Now I can't decide what to do with
> plan1/holiday_ru_ru and plan2/holiday_ru_ru in
> kdepimlibs/kholidays/holidays/. Here are the options:
> 1. Simply change the name of the holiday. But then if you open a year
> before 2011 in the calendar, you'll still see the new name of the
> holiday.
> 2. The best thing to do would be, I think, to have 2 holidays: the
> first should appear only for the year 2010 and before, and the second
> one only for 2011 and later. But I'm afraid this behaviour of the
> calendar can't be currently defined in the file "holiday_ru_ru".
>
> I wanted to know how other translation teams deal with this, so I
> grepped all holiday definition files and I've found an ":: After
> 2005" line in holiday_se_sv. The people who wrote this file probably
> meant that some holidays only existed before 2005 and some other
> holidays appeared in 2005. But ":: " lines are just comments, so
> they won't make the calendar work differently, am I wrong?
>
> The holiday I'm talking about is currently defined in holiday_ru_ru
> as follows: "День милиции"
>  on november 10

I'd say just rename it. As far as I'm concerned, the holiday files
always reflect the current state of things. I don't think that it makes
sense to try being historically accurate.

In the German holiday file there's the "Tag der Einheit" (Day of
Reunification). Obviously, this holiday did not exist before the German
reunification. Still it is not marked with a starting year (and IMHO
this is perfectly alright).

Anyway, that's just my view on this.

Regards,
Ingo